Printed on 4/11/2021
Diesel Power Generation & Marine Service Tech (FABTECH)
Technical Diploma (TD)
Financial Aid Eligible
Time of Day:
*If general education courses are required, they may be available at multiple locations.
This program will give you the hands-on training needed to perform generator maintenance, engine overhauls, repairs, tune-ups, testing, fuel system repairs and diagnostics. In addition, you’ll learn how to do field service on Caterpillar® equipment. You’ll obtain additional skills in advanced math, electrical power generation, air conditioning, electrical and shop safety. In a year, you could be on the job earning a good income at [Fabick Cat](https://www.fabickcat.com/our-company/education-programs/), your exclusive Cat Dealer for the entire state of Wisconsin, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and throughout major portions of Missouri and Illinois. This technical diploma is one of two required. The 40 credits earned in the Diesel Engine Service Technician program will apply, leaving you with just 15 additional credits needed to complete this technical diploma.
General Repair Mechanic
Credit Transfer Options
They're your credits. Take them with you!
Whether you’re an incoming student, transferring to another two-year college or pursuing your bachelor’s degree, we make it easy for you to seamlessly transfer your credits. With full accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission, we offer credit transfer agreements with more than 65 two-and four-year colleges.
- Perform troubleshooting and repair of electrical control panels, auto transfer switches, switchgear, safety devices and solid state devices used on and in conjunction with Caterpillar generator sets.
- Use wiring and schematic diagrams to locate defective components and connect Caterpillar Generator equipment.
- Use test equipment common to the trade properly and safely on Caterpillar Generators.
- Maintain Caterpillar diesel engines by completing inspections and preventive maintenance requirements, engine testing, diagnostics, and engine overhauling.
- Repair Caterpillar equipment, including engines, using the latest tools and advanced diagnostic technology.
- Use the Caterpillar service information system and complete service reports.
- Perform scheduled and preventative maintenance procedures on Caterpillar heavy construction equipment.
- Operate hand tools and shop equipment safely.
- Use proper lifting and blocking procedures for a variety of equipment, following OSHA and MSHA laws and procedures.
- Demonstrate the basic fundamentals of electrical systems needed to properly diagnose and repair complex electrical and electronic systems installed in Caterpillar equipment and rental service machines.
- Demonstrate proper communication techniques, both oral and written, for customer service.
- Apply basic hydraulic principles, schematics, and diagnostic procedures.
This technical diploma is part of the FABTECH program through the partnership FVTC has with Fabick Cat. All students in the FABTECH program start in the Diesel Engine Service Technician technical diploma. Upon completion of that program, you are guided by your instructors and Fabick Cat representatives to enter into either the Diesel Construction Equipment Service Technician technical diploma or Diesel Power Generation & Marine Service Tech technical diploma. Upon completion of the two technical diplomas, you have the option to pursue the Individualized Technical Studies-FABTECH associate degree.
[Learn more about FABTECH and Fabick Cat.](https://www.fabickcat.com/our-company/education-programs/)
Still undecided about your major or exploring your career options? Check out these resources to identify your personality traits, values, abilities and interests – important considerations when choosing a career. You’ll also find details about scheduling a college visit and contact information for our career counselors if you’d like more personal assistance. We’re here to help you explore your options.