Fox Valley Technical College (FVTC) is one of the Wisconsin Technical College System’s districts which has been created by the legislature of the State of Wisconsin under Chapter 38, Wis. Stats., and all of the facilities, grounds, and buildings used and controlled by it in implementing its educational programs are owned or leased by FVTC. The college is committed to upholding all local, state, and federal laws concerning weapons and/or potentially dangerous devices.
For purposes of this policy, “weapons” or “potentially dangerous devices” are defined in Wisconsin Statutes, as amended from time to time. Examples of weapons include: all firearms, compressed gas operated weapons, and electric weapons as defined in Section 941.295(4) of the Wisconsin Statutes, billy clubs, bows of legal hunting strength, explosives, metallic knuckles or any substance which would be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles; a nunchaku or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal, connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather; a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand; a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown; a chain having weighted ends; any switchblade knife, as defined in Wis. Stats. §941.24; any knife with a blade longer than three inches; baton of any type; explosive devices of any type; any "look-alike" instrument or weapon (i.e., "BB gun," pellet gun); oleoresin capsicum spray (pepper spray); or any other device which, in the manner it is used or intended to be used is calculated or likely to produce bodily harm.
The use, placement, concealment, creation, manufacture transportation, or possession of weapons and/or potentially dangerous devices in FVTC buildings (owned, or leased), FVTC owned vehicles, or at an FVTC sponsored event as defined in Sec. 943.13(1e)(h), Wis. Stats. held on public or private property off campus which is posted is strictly prohibited, except as expressly permitted hereafter or allowed by law.
Any legal weapons maintained or possessed in a vehicle must be encased and unloaded (except for handguns) and stored out of sight in a locked vehicle. Any person in legal possession of a weapon in an area not prohibited is responsible for complying with all applicable local, state, and federal statutes, rules, and regulations.
Illegal weapons are prohibited on all College property. Any person who is prohibited by state or federal law or court order from possessing firearms is prohibited from possessing firearms on all College property.
Students and Employees and Weapons
Fox Valley Technical College students and employees shall not use, place, transport or possess weapons in FVTC buildings or while acting as an employee of FVTC, or while attending a FVTC sponsored event as defined in Sec. 943.13(1e)(h), Wis. Stats. Employees and students must also observe the policy developed by any employer or property owner at any alternative site visited for college business or for instruction.
- Exception for Authorized Peace Officers, On-Duty Military Personnel and Federal Law Enforcement Officers:
A weapon or potentially dangerous device may legally be used, placed, transported or possessed on the FVTC campus, grounds, facilities, or buildings or at FVTC sponsored functions held on public or private property by an on-or-off-duty peace officer, an on-duty member of the military, or on-or-off-duty federal law enforcement officer when authorized or required to do so by his or her direct supervisor or commanding officer, and in accordance with applicable agency rules and policies.
- Exception for Use, Placement, Transportation or Possession of Weapons by Students and Employees in Instructional Programs:
A weapon or potentially dangerous device may be used, placed, transported or possessed (“possession”) in campus buildings by any instructor or student in a course when such possession is authorized, in advance, is necessary for training purposes and is consistent with specific program practices and procedures.
- Possession by a student must be authorized in advance by the instructor.
- Possession by the instructor must be authorized by the President of the College, or Vice President of Administrative Services, or designee. Such authorization may be by means of general order or by case-by-case review.
- Any firearms so authorized shall be unloaded at all times in FVTC buildings, except when being used for authorized instructional activities on the firing range or (when used with non-lethal marking cartridges) in other authorized areas.
- Any firearms or compound bows so authorized shall be encased at all times in FVTC buildings except when being used in a classroom demonstration or other authorized instructional activity.
- All required safety and security procedures must be observed prior to, during and after the course of instruction.
- Exceptions for Safety While Training
- Possession or carrying a weapon or potentially dangerous device by any instructor or student may be prohibited in any designated training area when such possession combined with the nature of the training creates a substantial threat to safety.
- Any prohibition imposed under this exception must be authorized in advance by the Vice President of Administrative Services or designee. Such authorization may be by means of general order or by case-by-case review.